The intent of this project is to retrofit a donated aluminum Ford
Mercury Sableâ with an electric drive train, fuel cell power
system, advanced battery pack and a hydrogen generator. Once retrofitted, the hybrid
vehicle will be entered to represent the State of New Jersey and compete in the Northeast
Sustainable Energy Associations (NESEA's) Tour de Sol road rally in May 2000. As
part of this project, the 1999 NJ Venturer will also be entered in the 2000 Tour de Sol.
- Demonstrate the integrated hydrogen generator and fuel cell systems and subsystems as a
viable alternative to reforming technology.
- Produce a full size 4 door fuel cell electric vehicle with the capability of 1000 + mile
range in a single refuel of non-flammable liquid fuel.
- Vehicle will be designed as to optimize vehicle weight using lightweight materials and
- Vehicle will have full passenger and cargo capacity.
- Vehicle shall have comparable speed, handling and acceleration to its gasoline
- Vehicle will have zero emissions and use a renewable fuel.
- Technology created for this project will be transferable to other industrial
- The partnership of government, universities and industry created by this project will
continue to generate educational, economic and environmental benefits for the next
- Re-enter the 1999 NJ Venturer in the 2000 Tour de Sol.
You are visitor
January of 2000.
Please send comments & suggestions to the webmaster.
Updated: Monday, May 01, 2000